Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Transformation Policy: Two Careers in Crisis

So, where has transformation lead us to? The possible end of two promising performers, one white and the colored. I say possible more in the light of "hope" because I admire both Langeveldt and Nel, and don't wish to see them end their careers on such a tragic note.

While they contemplate their futures and CSA officials find out the root cause of this mess, Monde Zondeki has been chosen (as predicted by this blogger in the early hours of 4 am - I think). According to CricInfo's article, Zondeki has been in red-hot form and considering it is a 3 test series in the subcontinent, will get a game on two. For CSA officials, they would hope he makes the most of it... to ensure that CSA CEO Gerald Manjola's comments (on South Africa thumping India) don't backfire on them. But even if Langeveldt played and succeeded, or Zondeki for that fact, it doesn't change the problem, the root.

I am against most quota systems (most that I can think of). South Africa have hundreds of talented colored kids growing outside the cities, who don't get the exposure to cricket that they should. That is the real crime... CSA funds and policies should go about in bring quality players to the top... not merely rant on every mixed player they jam into a squad as a "Success" for the system or South African cricket at large.

Readers will be happy to notice I've eliminated many of my "trois points" ... It can be very contagious.

But I'll let this issue rest here and hopefully, I won't have to write articles highlighting the careers of Nel and Langeveldt soon, but spend more time on International politics and the scrumptious outcomes of a Proteas pace-battery against the Fortified batters of India.

No comments: